You will need: Some satellites. Google Maps. Trees. People. Some money.
- Grab satellite data on forest cover.
- Make it super hi-resolution – all the way down to 30 square metres.
- Overlay it onto Google Maps.
- Update it every ten (ten!) days.
- Mash it up with boundaries of national parks and logging concessions, so that illegal logging shows up immediately.
- Enable automatic area alerts.
- Proactively offer funding for access to legal redress to local groups via the Access Initiative.
- Stir well.
Your Global Forest Watch is now ready. Nice going, World Resources Institute.